From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:18:48 -0700
John, (part 2)

As for on line recourses, if you Goggle a name (e. g. Ficus ventricosa) you
will find plenty of sites with images and more on that species.  I just
tried that name and got 10,100 responses.  Some of the sites listed will be
dealer sites and many have great images of shells.  I see on the first page
are Femorale (shell dealers from Brazil with thousands of shell images) and
Eddie Hardy (tons of gastropod images).  There are many more (Poppe's Cyber
Conchology, Schooner Specimen Shells, Sharpe Shells, etc.) and all have
shell images.  The problem is that it can be tough to "thumb" through and
find the identity of the shell you have in hand.  For this a book is best.
Once you have at least the family or better yet genus, you can check on line
and often find your shell.  My shell library is no where near as extensive
as others I have seen, but I still have a few hundred books, two full file
cabinets of magazines and Xeroxed articles from journals, and there are
still plenty more books and articles on my wish list.

Welcome aboard!

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA