From:
Steve Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Sep 2022 10:44:31 -0400
Based on Harry's comment I viewed the presentation as well and found it enjoyable (except for what I think was  the very LOUD (squeaky chair the presenter was using.  A surprise cameo appearance by the presenter's cat almost made up for that. )

Those interested in Buscyon whelks will find the presentation interesting as clearly the local left-handed whelk appears to be a main research interest of Dr. Dillon.  His experience mirrors my own (it's not at all common on the beaches or intertidally); I may have forgotten but it seems like he didnt give too much if any attention calling out the 'eliceans' subspecies of the knobbed whelk, - it is common there.  Watching him go out on a trawler to try and nab those elusive  left handed whelks from a dredge haul was great vicarious fun.  As was his unexpected very rare find among the spoils.  He clearly has that 'great eye' we shell collectors appreciate.

I also found it interesting that none of his apparent favorite spots in SC overlap with mine.  For anyone interested my 'go to' places in the past for good shelling in SC have been Bulls Island (you have to take a ferry)- thats a great spot for whelks, Kiawah Island (Beachwalker County Park- starting where you park, and  southward towards/at  the river inlet), and Folly Beach (both sides, there is a nice photo of Urosalpinx cinerea color variations found there on the bay side  by Mark Johnson up on the Jax Shell Club website.

http://listserv.uga.edu/scripts/wa-UGA.exe?SUBED1=conch-l-L&A=1