Date:
Wed, 19 Oct 2016 13:43:07 -0400
I was shelling in shallow water at low tide at Cholla Bay near Rocky Point, Sonora, Mexico when I encountered the stuff. One step the ground was firm, the next I was above my ankles and sinking. My companion was a distance away and the tide had turned. I was getting scared that I wouldn't get free before the high tide. With the help of my friend I was freed, but my wading shoes remained buried.
I may be the only person to encounter quick sand there; no one I've met has ever heard of anyone getting caught in it.

---- steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

i think there are also highly dangerous deposits similar to what john
describes in SE Alaska, we saw them all along the Seward Highway from
the car between Anchorage and Seward. Flats of brown sand exposed as
far as the eye can see at low tide, we were warned not to even think
about trying to go out there, that it was like walking in
....qucksand....which is exactly what that stuff was.  And indeed
there were no locals or anybody out there, we stayed away as well.