From:
ferreter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 10:20:14 -0500
Burying shells is a good way to clean but does have a few drawbacks. I read
once about a lady in Hawaii who buried shells but then a local cat would
sometimes dig them up and cart off with the booty. Second and most relevant
reason is that the decaying animal sometimes produces an acid like substance
that will etch the glossy parts of the shell resulting in a dull haze. Mark
James Bethke