From:
Carlos Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 11:10:08 -0700
Hello Felicia,

For this type of analysis with shrimp, one normally
uses individual total and carapace length in
millimetres and, individual weight in grams.  I still
haven’t read similar publications related with
seashells but I’m sure there are at least a few. Any
way I suspect that the essential data you will need is
the total height and width (e.g. for a Cypraea).
Knowing which individuals are mature or immature is
relevant but not essential. If you measure a large
quantity of individuals that represent all sizes of
the existing stock, FISAT will give you more details
on the parameters you are seeking for. What you must
find out thought is the longevity for the specie or
species you are working with, for comparison. If now
works exist, consider yours as a first contribute;
sure more will come out after woods :-).

I suggest you contact CSIRO Marine Laboratories. PO
Box 120. Cleveland. 4163. Australia. They have some
pretty good publications with microcomputer programs,
like FISAT, for local shrimp stocks. They might also
have some publications related with shellfish; it’s
worth trying for.

Also try to acquire, Sparre, P. & Venema, S. C.,
(1998) – Introduction to tropical fish stock
assessment. FAO FISHERIES TECHNICAL PAPER 306/1. Part
1: Manual, Rev.2. FAO. Rome, 407 p. This publication
might also help you out with these and other dough’s
for your work.

Wish you the best of luck with your work and hope you
find good results so that one day you can tell us all
about them, her on the list.
The best of regards,
Carlos Afonso from South Portugal