From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Dec 2001 14:17:30 +0000
Dear Kate;
        It is extremely difficult to identify shells from description only.   I
operate an ID site for the list, so if you can take photos or scans (do
you have a scanner attached to your computer?  It does quite well on
3-dimensional objects such as shells - just cover them with an opaque
container, to minimize the effects of background light.  Try to end up
with a jpeg of 30 to 50K - for raw format, that's about 300k, which the
jpeg conversion process reduces to 40k or so.  If you don't have a photo
converter, just send me the raw scan and i will convert it for you.  If
you don't have a scanner you could just send me the photos, but that
takes a bit longer!  An alternate is to take photos then scan these and
send them my way.  Scan them at a resolution of 100 pixels per inch or
so - but if you scan the shells directly, use 150 to 200.  (for
websites, you want images to be no larger than about 50k normally, since
many people still have slower modems) ) and send them to me with info
such as locality, size and habitat and i'll post them for you for folks
to examine and hopefully come up with a name for!

From the again-white but always Great north (well,  actually it is
melting fast...Halifax is not exactly Snow City!),
Ross.
--
Ross Mayhew: Schooner Specimen Shells:
Http://www.schnr-specimen-shells.com