From:
Patty Jansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:37:35 -0700
Dear all,

I believe the Spam-merchants' tactics are much more sinister than that.
Yes, there is software that will harvest E-mail addresses from mailing
lists and web sites etc., but I know of software for sale that randomly
tries all combinations of letters before the @-sign at one particular
provider. Then it automatically deletes the addresses that bounce, leaving
a mailing list of existing E-mail addresses.

What I am saying is that it is pointless to blame Conch-list. When you have
an E-mail address, 'they' will find you anyway, it is only a matter of
time. All tactics you can employ to stop it (such as using filters and
changing your E-mail address) are both only partially effective and might
lose you some messages you actually do want.

Spam is the same thing as unsollicited mail in your letterbox, or marketing
calls at dinnertime. It is annoying, but it won't go away. Never respond to
it and learn to employ the 'delete' button.

Patty
(who since yesterday has received 30 copies of the Nigerian scam letter, as
well as an assortment of spams asking me to reduce my debts - don't have
any, my weight - I am skinny - or increase the size of my male appendage -
I am female)