From:
Philip Poland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 17:44:53 -0500
Dear Bob,

Look out. I'm visiting the panhandle next winter. Would you be interested
in joining me at the crack of dawn on a 27 F morning? I'd love to get some
tips from an experienced local.
I'm hanging tough with my list of littorinids from the panhandle. Please
prove me wrong by loaning me ANY species other than the big four. Also, if
you're able to, please loan me a Panhandle L. angulifera. It is rare, rare,
rare in your neighborhood.
Taxonomic revisions have taken place and I pass them on to you.
Gary Rosenberg has provided up-to-date taxonomic changes for the
periwinkles as follows:
Nodilittorina interrupta (Philippi, 1847)
Littoraria nebulosa (Lamarck, 1822)
Littoraria angulifera (Lamarck, 1822)
Littoraria irrorata (Say, 1822)
Please let Harry and me confirm these unusal records.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Phil P.

----------
> From: JOBO27 <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Littorinidae
> Date: Monday, January 12, 1998 10:44 PM
>
> Dear Phil,
>         It's been awhile but I've been looking over our Littorina from NW
Florida.  I
> got together with fellow club member Linda Brunner and we examined our
species
> of Littorina.  We looked at Marine Gastropods from Curacao, Aruba and
Bonaire
> by
> de Jong & Coomans.  We also looked through every other  shell book on
Florida
> &
> Caribbean shells.  I believe we both have decided that our species of
> Littorina
> need a closer inspection.  You stated you believed we had four species of
> Littorina; L. angulifera, L. irrorata, L. nebulosa & L. interrupta.  That
last
> one, L.
> interrupta, very interesting.  In other books, when it was even mentioned
> including Johnstonia, at best was a syn.  However I (we) are willing to
accept
> that name.  We believe we have L. ziczac and at least one other species,
L.
> lineolata or L. angustior, or both.  Yeah, the last three species will
give
> you one
> heck of a headache if you look at them long enough.  Will be more than
happy
> send you a specimen whenever a spare is available.  The only two
Littorina in