From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 18:06:05 -0500
This is a delightful article, and Naomi Van Tol is to be congratulated for
such original research.  There are a lot in the article that many not be
apparent, but are actual references, such as the negative comment by
Shakespeare (1610-1611) about freshwater bivalves, a curse from The Tempest
that 'fresh brook mussels thou will eat.'   And although there are jokes
about U. imbecilis, it is indeed found in dry creek beds and can survive
where a lot of other freshwater shells cannot.
The observation that mussels must not like living near poisonous snakes as
very few researchers collected shells in the presence of those snakes makes
sense to me.  The freshwater folks always joke that shells seem always to be
found at bridge crossings, obviously easiest access, no affinity by mussels
for bridges.  See, "musselheads" have a sense of humor, you would have to in
order to collect them in some of the remote and muddy conditions in which
they occur.  And musselheads are people, or at least passably so, too.
Hopefully her research, and publications, such as the one referenced below
in such a prestigous journal will continue.
Alan Gettleman
Merritt Island, FL