From:
Timothy Blackwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:14:05 -0700
Hello everyone,

     While working my way through the Strombus pugilis taxonomy for my collection, I've been doing
some surfing.  In my cyber travels I've come across Strombus pugilis nicaraguensis.  I've received
some information in this form, but some questions still remain.  While checking out
www.gastropods.com I found that this form is known only from Nicaragua.  The information I've
received so far also gives Colombia and the West Indies as localities.  One web site
(http://perso.wanadoo.fr/guerrero.guy/coq/09907.jpg) showed a specimen that was said to be from
Venezuela.  Is this possible?  It was also said to measure around 73mm.  I'm not doubting the
measurement of the pictured shell.  Is this a little large for nicaraguensis?  What are the
characteristics used to identify nicaraguensis?  In my own collection I've got one example from
Amuay Bay, Paraguana Peninsula, Venezuela, that is about 65mm in length, has a darker orange-red
aperture than usual, and a smooth shoulder on the body whorl.  Any additional information you can
provide will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance and I'll look forward to hearing from you
soon.  Bye for now. :)

Sincerely,
Tim Blackwood

Timothy J. Blackwood