From:
Richard Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Dec 2005 11:39:29 -0500
This thread has certainly ignited the List!

I liken a change to the specimen shell grading system with the
efforts to change the U.S. system of weights and measurements
to the metric system.  It was a great idea that was destined
to fail, though a dual system is now pervasive.  The U.S.
system is too well-entrenched in our daily lives, much like
the HMS-ISGS grading system.  Can a dual grading system work;
I doubt anyone wants to spend the time to do such a thing --
and besides, there is no subjectivity in weights and measures. :-)

One point that has not been dealt with directly is whether a
dealer employees an ancillary shell description along with the
system of grading, for instance...

"Conus spurius - 45mm, F+, with operculum / shell with strong
pattern. Shallow 4mm vertical scar along upper body whorl near
apertural side of shoulder.  Lip very slightly trimmed.  The
shell displays beautifully on both the aperture and dorsum side."

This hypothetical description along with a picture would give
a solid indication of what the purchaser should expect (much
better than describing it as an "awesome beauty" :-) !). Of
course, detailed descriptions are only good when offering
individual shells.  It would be more difficult to begin to
describe the quality of multiple specimens in a lot.  A
general description would have to suffice.

It would behoove a collector to write or talk with the dealer
if they are extremely particular about the visible
characteristics of a rare or expensive shell they want to
purchase.  Don't ask a dealer to send multiple pictures of a
$5.00 shell as most won't be able to handle such requests.
Just like a real estate agent; they'll provide you with a
virtual tour of their million dollar property, but only one
exterior shot of a much lesser-priced home.

Under-grading shells is just the reason collectors must learn
about how dealers approach shell grading.  Some dealers do;
most dealers don't.  Why under-grade a shell just for
perception, or to make a customer plesantly surprised? The
collector should know what they're getting -- it's either Gem,
Fine+, Fine, or whatever. The grading system is supposed to
represent the quality of the shell, not be a sales incentive
for future purchases.

This is a great forum to discuss shell grading, but I don't
think that there will ever be a concensus.  Dialog will help
though.

Rich

P.S. - So is it true that shell dealers don't talk with each
other? ...