From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:28:08 -0500
Dear Leslie and all,

Let's use a little more perspective here. One
does not help create an organization such as the
Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum by "...shuffling
paper and specimens...". Tucker's contribution to
BMSM went far beyond that. Despite his poor
health, he invited the participation of the
broader national and international shelling
community in the project, which results today in
the incorporation of more than 200 large- and
medium-size private collections into BMSM's. He
also acted as a huge magnet for acquisition of
funds and financial bequests, and imparted
prestige and a professional spin to the
organization, which included the acquisition of
The Nautilus from Jerry Harasewych's Trophon
corporation. I have had the privilege (and
challenge) of succeeding at the helm of BMSM (for
ten years now as of yesterday) and wanted to let
you hear my opinion of Tucker's contribution to this place.

Cheers,

José

At 06:39 PM 02/01/06, you wrote:
>While he was
>locked in his own world of shuffling paper and specimens to create the BMSM,
>and running a publishing company.

José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum
Editor, The Nautilus