From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:34:52 -0500
Hi Michele,

The beaches on Phuket aren't places to collect--it's non-stop beach umbrellas and chairs on the major beaches. But if you dive or go to the headlands between beaches for small shells, you'll find plenty. (Dive operators may not allow you to take shells). Also, I had lots of fun in the mangrove areas on the Phuket Sea side.

Phuket wasn't my idea of a laid-back, unspoiled shelling vacation. Instead, I took a chance and headed on the ferry to Ko Yao Noi, which is about 1 hour away. There are plenty of intertidal shells there. I benefited from having someone take me to different spots every day on the back of a motorcycle. There was one outing to a sandbar/reef in the middle of the Phuket Sea during which I collected some very interesting items and the boatman gave me many new specimens that must have come from his fishing net (no translation was available to find out).

You can contact me off-list if you want more details.

David Kirsh
Durham, NC