From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:18:39 -0300
This may sound as an amateur's suggestion, but if you have too many subjects I would advise to
simply number each paper using self-glued tags or even writing on then.  Pile them up, or use
folders to organize then by sizes before numbering (in this case use initial letters to split them
as L for large, S for small before the number - L001, S001).

I know this is not the most correct way to do - but certainly is the easiest and anyone will be able
to find any paper and put it back where it belongs without having the knowledge of all subjects. I
know this since we started separating papers by subjects, then by author, then by locality, then by
family,  and now we waste hours trying to find anything here!

Books are a bit easier to deal with, in this case for the most used ones we organize in a few groups
on three large shelves: Locality (Americas, Europe, Asia, etc), Family (Cowries, Conus, etc), Land
and Fresh water, and number then using different color tags for each group.

Using a small database would help you to find what you are looking for too.
Regards

Marcus

Hi all,
  I have a question that I would like to ask. I have numerous papers that I need to put in some
order. What is the best way to do this. I thought author would be the best way for actual filing,
but then I don't know about subject. Could I get some input as to how others do this. It used to be
easy when all I had were Pecten papers, but I am acquiring a lot of other families and need to
figure out the best way. Would a separate card catalog of subjects be the best way??? I know my mind
won't let me remember all the subjects etc. Any guidance will be appreciated.
   Thanks,
     Carole Marshall
     Lake Worth, Florida

P.S. It is time for the Neptunea award nominations. Please think about who you would like to
nominate and give me some really good information on that person and why they should be nominated.
    Thanks,