From:
Tom Eichhorst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2007 10:48:00 -0600
Great piece Harry!  As a further indication of active "in the field"
archaeology, I have been in email contact for a number of years with Dr
Katherine Szabo from the Australian National University of Canberra.  Dr
Szabo and her team participate in active digs in a number of Pacific
localities.  Her finding fossil Nerita textilis in a shell midden in
Indonesia led to the range extension of this species after Extant specimens
were also found (reported in Amer. Conch.).  More recently in a similar dig
on Easter Island she found evidence of a Nerita species no longer found on
the island (MS in prep).  So we still have intrepid souls digging into our
past.

Tom Eichhorst in New Mexico, USA