From:
mike gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:14:09 -0400
Avril Bourquin wrote:
> Hello Conchlers,
>

> I have been presented with a question that I cannot give a good answer.
> It comes from Kjell and reads
>
> “Hi!
> A friend and I have been looking at Cassis tuberosa shells and have been
> wondering about how they coil. We never found any specimens that were in
> between finishing one round or the next. They are always at a stage
> where they have already finished a full 2/3s turn. Do you know how that
> works??

I have a very nice Cassis flammea collected fresh dead from the Boynton
reef, SoFla. It is 2 1/2" and is "in between".

The new growth extends about 3/4", thin and fragile, a bit more pale
than the old part of the shell. the margin is slightly scalloped, don't
know if that is the way it grew or if it is damaged, but it appears too
regular to be damage. But the old body of the shell has a fracture. The
old outer lip is still fully intact, including the teeth inside. The
inner lip appears to be slightly dissolved, if at all.

The new growth is so thin and fragile and open compared to the old solid
lips and narrow aperture, I suspect that the animals hide while they are
in growth spurts.