From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:00:49 +1200
>Hello Everyone--
>
>Last month before the COA Convention we visited the Oregon coast
>where I collected several Nucella lamellosa (approx. 1-1 1/2 inches)
>as well as several other species off exposed rocky shores.  I placed
>all the shells in alcohol soon after collecting, then a week later
>poured off the alcohol for our return flight home.  The day after we
>returned, I put alcohol back in the peanut butter jar with my
>shells.  Yesterday I attempted to clean them, but unfortunately the
>lamellosa have withdrawn so far into the aperture that's it's
>impossible for me to remove the animal.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions what to do now other than drying
>out these specimens?  This did not happen to the other shells in the
>same jar, and they are now all clean!  I've put shells in alcohol on
>previous trips, but this is the first time I've had the animal
>completely withdraw.
>
>I'm hoping someone out there has some ideas for me--

Animals preserved in ethanol are not fixed, and if soaked in water
the alcohol will be replaced by waterb if you keep changing it. Then
the animals will be free to macerate, softening them (care not to
allow acids of decomposition damage the shell surface). It may then
be possible to slip a bent needle or whatever in far enough to hook
the animals... and a jet of pressurized water might help (if you use
a hose outside for this, hold the shell TIGHTLY and keep note of
where the animal goes if it flies out... you'll want to retrieve the
operculum).

Otherwise you can just dry them out, or soak them in water to remove
the ethanol and then soak them in formalin overnight to fix the
proteins, then rinse thoroughly and dry. If fixed properly, the
animal will not rot.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin