From:
Alan Kohn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Nov 2007 21:20:49 -0700
Subject: Recent updates to the Conus Biodiversity Website: for Conch-L

Recent Up;dates to the Conus Biodiversity Website
(http://biology.burke.washington.edu/conus/)

We have increased the number of images of species-group taxa with images to 831.
Most of these are photographic images of types, while others are images of
representations of holotypes and lectotypes, or of figures that accompanied
original descriptions but have not been designated as representations of types.

We have now posted PDF’s of works containing the original descriptions of
2,306 species-group taxa in Conus. Except for those protected by copyright,
these may be downloaded by clicking on the color PDF symbol wherever it appears
on the web site.

However, maintenance of The Conus Biodiversity Website has recently become
difficult. It is based on research supported by the National Science Foundation,
but this grant extended from August, 2003 to August, 2007. It has thus now
expired, forcing termination of the position so effectively occupied by Mr.
Trevor Anderson during the last four years.

Nevertheless, any help filling gaps in the Catalogue portion of the site would
still be greatly appreciated. Works with original descriptions or pages, plates
etc. that are missing from PDF’s that we have would still be welcomed.
Increasingly, older malacological works containing new species descriptions are
also appearing in electronic format on sites such as Google Book
(http://books.google.com/) and Internet Archive
(http://www.archive.org/index.php). For a partial listing, see Chiribotan
(Newsletter of the Malacological Society of Japan), 38: 67-69, 2007.

We also continue to appreciate information on newly described species of Conus.
We will endeavor to update the site in the future as conditions permit.
Maintenance in its current state is planned; should additional funding become
available in the future, periodic updates and improvements will be implemented.

Alan Kohn