From:
Marcus Coltro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:34:30 -0200
That sounds like the dive master in Egypt who explained me why I should not remove shells from the
sea:

If I did so, it would change the PH on the water!

Marcus

I couldn't resist this one. Shell collecting as a way of sequestering
carbon and thus reducing global warming! Scientific illiteracy is a
major problem nowadays.
A standard container weighs between 10 and 20 tons. To crane it onto a
ship and move it from the Philippines to the USA consumes a considerable
amount of marine diesel. To then truck it to the distribution center
requires many further gallons of regular diesel. To then deliver the
packet of shells to your home takes some regular gasoline. Let's not
mention manufacturing and transporting the packing materials (the bubble
wrap, the box etc.) or the resources used by the original fishermen.
That shell you buy for your collection is dragging behind it a ton of
carbon dioxide that would have remained tied up in hydrocarbons lurking
deep underground if you hadn't placed your order in the first place.
Cheez. What do they teach people nowadays?

Paul Callomon