From:
Lindsey Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jan 2008 07:52:19 -0800
To all Conch-L listers:

            I have been following this thread and feel that it is time once again to contribute my proverbial two cents worth.  In 1959 Myra Keen very eloquently stated in the introduction of her first edition of Sea Shells of Tropical west America (p. 6) ... "This book will have been of scant service to the science of Malacology if it stimulates unrestrained collecting.  The apparent wealth of a tropical coast suggests a limitless reserve, but such an area can be ruined by over collecting just as surely as can one any where else.  Already the more accessible collecting spots in the northern part of the Gulf are being denuded by overeager amateurs who carry away shells by the sackful; by commercial collectors; and by thoughtless persons who needlessly destroy the habitat , whether collecting or not.  The careful conscientious collector may take a representative sample, but not an entire colony or population, and he tries to leave the site as undisturbed as possible, replacing every overturned rock in its original population as quickly as he can, so as not to disrupt the living conditions for the host of plants and animals nestled there.  It is the delicate balance between these organisms - some large enough to see, others microscopic in size - that keeps an area continuously productive."   This paragraph was reproduced in the 1971 revision on page 9.  She goes on in a later paragraph to say "On the other hand, there is also some developing awareness on the part of many collectors.  A "Shell Collectors Code of Ethics" was formulated in 1963 by the Pacific Northwest Shell Club, which has been subscribed to by other clubs and by individuals.  It needs still wider publicity and adherence and is here repeated, in slightly amended and abridged form: Because I appreciate our heritage of wildlife and resources,
I WILL make every effort to protect them, not only for my own future enjoyment, but also for the benefit of generations to come.
I WILL make sure that I leave things as I found them.
I WILL rocks, boulders, kelp, and seaweed to their original positions after looking beneath them.
I WILL refill the holes I dig
I WILL take only those specimens I know can clean and use
I WILL avoid taking juvenile or flawed specimens, leaving them to grow to maturity and to propagate.
I WILL never knowingly deplete an area of an entire species-population.
I WILL respect the property rights of others; treat public land as I would the property of my friends and collect on private beaches only with the owner's permission.
I WILL leave behind no trash or litter and discard no burning material."

These observations and statements were made 40+ years ago and should still apply today.  Please use restraint everyone!  On the subject of live collecting ... I despise the thought which is why I collect fossils (ie., I had nothing to do with their demise).  However, working with a large world-class mollusk collection I do realize that there is indeed scientific value in live collecting and commercial food species need to be harvested.  However, I have had to urge individuals not to collect juveniles and brooding females in the past.  Once again ... please use restraint everyone.  Do not collect live specimens for the sake of collecting.  In California the need for abalone "farms" is a prime example of what can indeed happen when amateur and commercial collecting goes awry.   Myra Keen further states "Self-restraint on the part of the conservation-minded collectors may not be enough to stem the tide of increased collecting pressure, especially if our population continues to expand and prosper.  It may well be that licensing and stiff fees for permits will be necessary."  This has come to pass in California as you are required to have a current California fishing license to legally collect live species outside of federal and local protected areas.  Keen further states "Deplorable as the heedless fisherman's and collector's acts may be, they pale beside the greatest threat of all to the marine fauna - pollution," which does not by any means of the imagination justify unrestrained collecting of live specimens.  I will get off the soap box for now.  Any feed back?

Aloha,

Lindsey

Lindsey T. Groves
Malacology Section, Collection Manager