From:
Umit Kebapçı <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2008 09:03:49 +0300
Dear Fred,

Technically you have discern the two, the ones that climb trees regularly are
arboreal snails (which should be only a few around you). In this part of the
world (northern and temperate) vast majoriy of snails are \'ground\' snails.
That is, they climb temporarily to mate, feed, or most oftenly to escape from
heat absorbed by ground in hot season (mid-summer). Since they are \'ground\'
snails, when it get colder, they tend to hide in deep cracks or soil.

As far as I understand, your question is: what is the highest score of any
snail to climb on a vertical object? If this is correct, than we should be
talking about arboreals. Because i guess the others wouldnt go up that high.

My score is about ca 10 meters (Helices and Eobanias on builgings). There are
records of several rooftop species in Scandinavia, but i think they do not
count (as they came with the soil).

If we are talking about the highest terrain occupied by snails. Himalayas will
be the best candidate. They can be found at 5000 meters and higher active
among snow covered rocks.

Alıntı yapılıyor Frederick W Schueler <[log in to unmask]>:

> Everyone,
>
> I suppose they\'re called \"land\" snails rather than \"ground\" snails, but
> I\'m always impressed when snails in our northerly climes go metres up
> into a tree or other object, stick themselves to it, and \"go to sleep.\"
>
> Does anyone keep score on the heights terrestrial Gastropods reach? I
> Here are a couple of high-climbing Cepaea nemoralis from this wet
> summer
> in eastern Ontario.
>
> fred.
>              Bishops Mills Natural History Centre
>            Frederick W. Schueler & Aleta Karstad
>         RR#2 Bishops Mills, Ontario, Canada K0G 1T0
>      on the Smiths Falls Limestone Plain 44* 52\'N 75* 42\'W
>        (613)258-3107 <bckcdb at istar.ca> http://pinicola.ca
> Canada: Ontario: Grenville County: Oxford-on-Rideau: Buker Road Field,
> 0.1 km SSW Bishops Mills. 31B/13, UTM 18TVE 445.7  686.6 44.87115N
> 75.70133W.  TIME: 1750-1826. AIR TEMP: 14, overcast, Beaufort light
> air,
> light rain. HABITAT: shallow- bare-soil oldfield on limestone plain.
> OBSERVER: Frederick W. Schueler. FWS08Jun181750/a, Cepaea nemoralis
> (Mollusca). circa 30, mature & juvenile, quiescent, seen, photo. up to
> 372 cm up in bushy 20 cm DBH Ash tree. Twenty were above 2 m height.
> These snails were exposed to view by cutting away a tall invasive
> Rhamnus cathartica (Common Buckthorn). There were a few snails on the
> Rhamnus, but not the clusters of them that were in the Ash.

> (Bishops Mills Store) TIME: 1538. AIR TEMP: 21, light rain, calm.
> HABITAT: gravel/hedge/paved area around store building in rural village
> on limestone plain. OBSERVER: Frederick W. Schueler. FWS08Aug081538/a,
> Cepaea nemoralis (Mollusca). 3 adult, quiescent. large juv, 390 cm
> above
> ground, under eves on vinyl siding of the Mill Street wall of the
> Store,
> near the Main Street corner.  Another large juv, and a mature snail,
> lower down on the siding.

> click leave the list.

Ümit Kebapçı
Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi