From:
worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 02:09:38 -0500
I agree that using Saran Wrap is an excellent method for packing S.
linguaefelis, or any species of Spondylus.  I have safely shipped and
transported in luggage specimens of all sizes and spine
development.  It should be noted that you need to create a circular
"clam-shell" around the top and bottom valves that envelop the entire
Spondylus.  This makes unpacking far easier.  I've posted a picture
that illustrates this method (link below).  Make sure to start the
wrap the long twisted braids, as Paul mentions, loosely but with no
slack.  Then keep wrapping until there is at least an inch or more of
Saran Wrap beyond the spines.

If packing in soap powder, which is also a very good method, I
suggest purchasing Ivory Soap Powder or Dreft used for washing baby
clothes.  Unlike the standard soap powder, the mild baby detergents
do not cake up and weigh a fraction of the other soap.  The baby
detergents also wash out much quicker and do not leave a white
residue often seen with the other detergents.  You may have to coat
the Spondylus with oil (of your own choosing) because of
this.  None-the-less, all soaps will more-than-likely absorb and wash
away the oils from the shell and spines if it was previously coated.

http://www.worldwideconchology.com/SpondylusWrap.jpg

Rich