From:
Courtney Porter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:07:42 -0400
To Whom it May Concern...or interest.  (Mike Metz)
I live in St Petersburg, FL, very close to Pass-A-Grille.  For the record,
I am just a amatuer looking for more information on the Horse Conch.  Grew
up in Florida since 1970.  Very much a shell enthusiast...I do not keep
shells, as a youngster that was different.
To the point, this past Sunday I found a Horse Conch in the 18-20" size.  I
wondered if Mike Metz would be interested in finding it again to "mark it"
for future growth tabulations.  I too would be very interested in tracking
this, but wanted to share in this since he is local.
Please forward to Mike, it's been a few years since these emails were
established, so I hope that it's not a mute point.
If so, I was just curious if the "life" of a Horse Conch has been
determined or if there is a way to figure it out yet?
Since a kid I always thought it might be the "rings" of the actual shell
point/body (best way for me to describe at the moment) Seems to me the grow
from the edge of the "mouth" of the shell body.
Has anyone considered that?
Thanks for your time in advanced.  I find this facinating and greatly look
forward to someone's response.
Courtney Porter
(hind sight...should have gone into Marine Biology, but the arts grabbed me
instead.)