Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:50:37 -0400
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 10:00:13 -0400, Paul Callomon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Folks,
>
>The following was sent to me, and with the sender's permission I am passing
it into the conchlerscape for your erudite comments. Please respond to the
original sender, not just to the list, as she's not (yet) a subscriber.

>PC
>
>****************************************************************************************
>
>Hello,
>
>I am hoping that you can answer a question for me.  Upon traveling to
Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia, I found a wide variety of beautiful land
snails in the grass and on trees every morning (of course I left them alone
in their natural environment, just took some great snapshots!).

>I got to wondering why it is that I have never seen a land snail in
Northeast Ohio where I live (or anywhere in the US that I've been besides a
lone one in Florida).  My husband, who is from Bosnia, says that the land
snails here have been exterminated by the chemical treatments Americans use
on their lawns.  Of course, he does tell a good old wives tale, so I was
wondering if this is one of them or if there is any truth to that?

>I run an online news blog at http://www.connietalk.com, and I would like to
post an article on this topic, but haven't yet found a resource to answer
that question.  I have seen quite a bit of decent-sized freshwater snails in
our pond, but never a land snail...and I've spent a lot of time outdoors!