From:
Don Barclay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 2009 00:48:53 -0500
Thanks Leslie, and I understand about the outside obligations.  Sorry to
hear you had to have the surgery, but congrat's on the nuptials!  I'll try
to make it down to Lake Jackson for Halloween.

Thanks for your note too, Ken.  I've previously attempted to correspond with
Bob Howells, but without response.  I had considered the HMNS collection,
but since Howells had used that collection in assembling range data for his
mussel book and only recorded one species from the Trinity River, I figured
that wasn't going to be any help in sorting out potentially different
species that were found there.  It might shed some light though, since all
the different forms may be called Fusconaia flava there, or there might only
be a singular form in the HMNS collection from the Trinity River.  By the
way, Conch-L's own Tina Petaway is Associate Curator of Mollusks at HMNS.

David, I was glad to hear you were doing molecular work on the southern
Fusconaia and Pleurobema species, and I'm looking forward to the results.
Without stealing any of your thunder associated with your future
publications, can you offer opinions on the shell pics I posted?  There is
one other large Trinity River form that I didn't photograph that looks very
much like Burch's figure of Fusconaia cuneolus, including the rays.  They
don't really show much of a median sulcus like they should if they were that
species, though.  Some are fairly inflated and some are compressed, but they
are otherwise very similar.

Thanks for any opinions.  Cheers,

Don