From:
Richard Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Nov 2009 01:43:54 -0500
To: Lyle Therriault

Very many thanks for your response

Small cones 1 - I don't agree with the Conus granum ID either, but the
problems with your two alternative IDs is that this shell doesn't have a
concave (and very high spire) like C. guidopoppei
http://gastropods.com/5/Shell_44195.shtml
and is much thinner than C. fischoederi
http://gastropods.com/6/Shell_4966.shtml

Small cones 2 - C. axelrodi is quite an inflated shell. None of my
specimens are, and they are all very small. Since many of the local small
variants of 'C. magus' have very pink spires, then failing any other
explanation, I am choosing to explain the 'small pinkies' as juveniles of
local 'C. magus'.

I am trying to put together a composite photo of how these shells change
from minor to major, but that is a complicated business. Please wait a bit.

I am not even sure how these small local 'C.magus' grow up, because I
haven't yet found a big one.

Perhaps they're not C magus at all, but something else.

Best regards

Richard Parker