From:
Winston Barney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 2009 11:02:26 -0600
Hi Dennis,

You are right. There is a definite advantage to organizing a study
collection by geographical province. It saves a lot of physical effort when
you are comparing species. But I just have to add that new collectors should
start building a good computer database also. With a field for everything
that is important to you, you can easily find all the shells of the same
subspecies, locality, author, etc.

And you can still organize them physically by geographical province, AND
keep all the rest of the information on your computer (and on printed
queries for all the fields of particular interest) I print my queries about
once every year, adding or subtracting data by pencil until the next
printing. Sounds like a lot of work, but when you are sitting in front of
your cabinets you don't have your DB with you (unless you've got a laptop).

Of course, none of this negates the absolute necessity of data-slips.

Winston Barney