From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:15:28 -0500
Marcus,

I always make it a habit to buy from someones website, not a link in an
e-mail. Also, if I am planning on making a purchase from a dealer or
business that is new to me, I like to check out their reputation with
others before making a purchase. Conch-l has been helpful in this regard.
Lastly, with a new seller, my first purchase is small. This allows me to
see if I agree with how they grade specimens, how well they pack and ship
material, and if the sale goes bad, I'm only out a few dollars.

After 20 years of purchasing and exchanging specimens, there is only one
dealer that I would not do business with a second time; didn't like the
way he packaged material, stuff came broken. Guess this is not a bad track
record and shows that most collectors and dealers are fairly ethical
individuals.

> Be aware!
>

> If you receive messages from anyone you never heard of, coming from Ivory
> Coast or any other African countries be very careful. This guy offered me
> shells from other dealers, and the real bad thing is the fact he is using
> serious websites on his scam, so when collectors realize they are not
> getting what they've paid for they will contact the real dealer using the
> links!
>

> (note the perfect English as well)
>

> PLESAE   SELECT/ CHOSE ANY OF THE SEASHELLS  LIST,  SO THAT I SEND YOU MY
> PRICE LIST. CHOSE WHAT YOU WNAT TO BUY ABOVE
>   THANK,
> I WAIT YOUR MAIL SOONEST
> mr, Gibert
> IVORY COAST- WEST AFRICA
>

> [log in to unmask]    [log in to unmask]
>

> So, NEVER send money in advance to people you don't know. If you pay by
> credit car dyou always can get your money back once the scam is proved,
> but if you sent money by Wester Union or something like that, then it is
> gone...
>

> Of course you may ask for the shells before sending the payment if you are
> suspicious - if they are not real dealers they will simply not reply you.
>

> Marcus
>
> Marcus Coltro WWW.FEMORALE.COM

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm
Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Assistant Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine