From:
Philip Poland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 1998 22:59:25 -0500
Dear Conch-Lers,
I love grass. Whenever I see the broad leaves of Thalassia, I run back to
the car for my net. Smaragdia, Tricolia (pardon the old name), Costoanachis
and other favorites come to mind.
A huge percentage of my smaller Florida forms have labels including the
words Thalassia or Syringodium or "grass." Trouble is, when the shallows
are swept with nets or dredges, a number of subtrates are involved. Clumps
of algae, bits of shell, sponge, small invertebrates that might have played
host, whatever, are part of the catch. I try to include the obvious and
primary constituents in my data but... Dr. Harry Lee reminded me of the
complications when we played with turbonilles recently. What were the hosts
in this sandy mud, shell rubble and grass environment they inhabited prior
to being netted?
So folks, please make note of the direct associations when you happen to
see them. THAT is valuable data.