From:
Stephanie Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:48:56 -0500
I have been a member for a relatively short period of time, about a
year or so, I have been to only one COA meeting since I arrived in
the US in 2003 and that was in Mobile, AL (2006) where I gave a
presentation, lead a field trip and won the Category L shell display
and had a bit of fun with Harry Lee at the auction. I did enjoy the
meeting I got to meet several people who were names from conch-l etc
and I got to meet some now good friends here in the Chicago area. And
I was overwhelmed by the amount of material available and my very
limited funds but I still found some nice things.

I think a major issue at least for me is the relative expense of
attending, I do not see the need for the meeting to be in a fancy
hotel in the middle of a major city such as Boston, Orlando, Mobile
etc where hotel rooms and convention space are relatively expensive
compared to an area outside the main city etc.  If people want to see
the sites of say Boston then that could be one of the field trips. I
always want to be able to collect new things so I will nearly always
choose such trips.

I think charging a small entrance fee for people who have not
registered either for the whole meeting or some smaller portion is a
very reasonable thing to do as Carole pointed out this happens at
numerous other functions. I think the argument that if is not free
that fewer people would attend is a little spurious, especially when
it is couched in terms like we could miss the next "Bill Fenzan or
Stephanie Clark" because it has been my very limited experience both
here and in Australia that this is getting less and less likely as we
push more into the world of iphones and virtual reality. Not to
mention that collecting anything such as shells is becoming more and
more socially unacceptable often based on very poor information, but
removing say sand dune vegetation in coastal Alabama and Florida for
beach front development is OK then things are only going to get
worse. As there will be less areas accessible, therefore less
habitat, more species/populations added to lists, expatriated or
extinct, more regulations, less people interested in collecting etc etc.

Another issue is the general age of attendee's, at 45 for example, I
am one of the younger members of the Chicago Shell Club and based on
the Mobile COA most attendees were much older. And unless something
turns around then there is only one way this is going. So who knows
what COA will be like when I am 70, but I hope it is still around in
some form.

My two and bit cents worth.

Stephanie

Stephanie A. Clark