From:
"William M. Frank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 23:00:18 -0400
The information I provided previously was taken from an article
published in the Atlanta Constitution on March 15, 1994.  It mentioned
that one of the largest producers of whelks was the Lewis Crab Factory
in Brunswick.  One of our members called them and found out they
sold their shells to a particular tourist enterprise. They too were called
but never returned the call.  Too busy selling shells I guess.

I think that it's safe to say that a portion of the shells end up in the
tourist/craft industries.  However, I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere
out there that "whelk dumps" exist.  There are also industries which use
shells for other things such as driveways and tabby.  Scallop shells and
oyster
shells are crushed and sold in bulk.  Some of the recent shells from the
Port Canaveral scallop draggers were trucked to Georgia and processed
in this manner.

Bill Frank
1865 Debutante Dr.
Jacksonville, FL 32246-8645
Phone/FAX: (904) 724-5326
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm