From:
Chris Takahashi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 21:24:37 -1000
Hi Paul,
Thanks. Sometimes I cringe at WRS's. I've seen some lulu's in wrong ID's to "shuffled" records. Take propinqua, this might be a real record but also may be a carneola or a bouteti. I've had local Hawaii collectors come to me for verification of sizes only to discover the species ID was wrong.

A good example is I have a Conus pennaceus that I feel is a WRS from Hawaii but can't submit it because a larger size was submitted from the Philippines(?)  A Cone expert will confirm that pennaceus doesn't occur in the PI but the record stands?

I had verified WRS of shells that were simply tossed aside for sizes that were smaller? Example is Philippia radiata. I have 4 much larger then the current record but my VERIFIED radiata was tossed aside. Another case is my friend Mel Pang who had a unquestionable WRS Fusinus sandvicensis that was a listed and verified record. Now it's been over-seeded by a much smaller specimen.

I really don't understand why cases like this exist? I've measured 100's of new WRS over the years and many confirmed sizes were discarded for smaller sizes. I once had access to the newer records but after realizing many discrepancies I haven't relied much on them. I'm sure the majority is valid but has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Sent from my iPhone