From:
PHILIP FALLON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Mar 2011 13:24:59 -0400
Harry, Carlo, and Paul,

Kathie Way has searched the records of the Natural History Museum,
London without success, stating also that there is no record that museum
ever received the specimens in question.  I haven't searched
specifically for notes left by Virginia Orr Maes at the ANSP, which I
will do on my next visit given Paul's revelation and offer, because the
types are not at the NHMUK, and I just assumed that she never saw them.
Sally Kaicher included only fucata in her collection, but the card does
not have a photo of the type.

I seem to recall sometime ago mention made of the partial acquisition of
Reeve's material by another museum.  In France, perhaps?  P. coccinata,
on the basis of Reeve's drawing, is one of several similar rosy-pink
species of Splendrillia.  I'm considering naming a neotype once I've
exhausted my search of all possible repositories of Reeve's type. P.
fucata is fairly distinctive, again based on Reeve's drawing and
description, and no significant confusion has been noted.

Thank you all for your very helpful information.

Phil