From:
Alan Gettleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2011 08:58:27 -0400
Dear Shelling Friends,
We are preparing for an exciting and fun Conchologists of America (COA) convention at the Radisson at the Port Resort, Port Canaveral (Cape Canaveral) Florida from July 13-17, 2011, hosted by the Astronaut Trail Shell Club.  This is the third time our club has hosted COA, and we are promising everyone a great time and several surprises.
Those attending our last hosted convention in 2001 remember on the last day of the convention there was a spectacular early morning launch of the Space Shuttle which was easily viewed from the hotel. With the imminent end of the shuttle program with the STS 134 launch now scheduled no earlier than next Monday; STS 135, the very last Shuttle will be launched at a time to be determined after July 4th. Given the 72 hour countdown,the PROBABLE earliest day the last Shuttle would be launched is July 7.
As those who have followed the Space Shuttle program know, delays are common. But we are starting to look at the outside possibility of a Shuttle mission (possible launch or landing) during part of the convention!
So what does this mean?  Basically if you are planning attending, please make your hotel reservations at the Radisson earlier rather than later, especially if it looks as if there will be further Shuttle delays that would move a launch to mid-July. The disclaimer is: prediciting if or when the Shuttle will launch is VERY SPECULATIVE. My office planned a NASA Agency wide conference around the launch of the Chandra Space Observatory in August 1998.  We had the conference as planned, but that Shuttle launched was delayed until nine months later.
Plan to come to COA for shells, programs, and several surprises.  Maybe a Shuttle activity may be one of the surprises.
Registration Website: http://www.conchologistsofamerica.org/conventions/2011/2011_Convention_Registration_Forms.pdf

Alan Gettleman
Convention Co-Chair