From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Aug 2011 16:40:29 -0400
I can maybe partially answer this.

We often find very dead crabbed specimens of this shell with an
epibiotic covering which I believe may be a hydrozoan.

Often live specimens of this shell have a dark deposit of some kind of
stuff on them which I never have figured out what it was, bleaching
doesnt remove it, and scraping didnt seem to do much either. It is not
unlike stains I see on deep water shells, like buccinids or volutes
(Fulgorarias) eg from the Chinese dealers.

(Marlo, if you want I can send you some examples, let me know).