From:
Amy Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 18:35:49 -0400
Some of you may be wondering what and why subscribers have to confirm their
subscription to Conch-L.  The default setting for all lists hosted here at
UGA is to contact each subscriber every 6 months to see if they still want
to receive email from the list.  This helps to eliminate email addresses
that are no longer in use and reminds people who have set their list mail
to 'nomail' that they are still subscribed to the list.  The default is to
unsubscribe anyone who does not respond.  If you are unsubscribed the
server will send you an email telling you that you have been unsubscribed.

This means that each of you will receive an individual 'Confirmation of
Subscription' message from the listserv computer every six months (based on
the time that you first subscribed to Conch-L).  If you have problems
replying to the message (which must be sent to the listserv computer and
not to the list) let me know and I will fix the problem.

If you see a 'Confirmation of Subscription' message posted to the Conch-L
list you can ignore it.  That message was sent to the wrong email address
and replying to it will not confirm your subscription.  The listserv
computer does not read or respond to messages sent to the Conch-L list it
only forwards them to everyone else on the subscribers list.  To get the
attention of the listserv computer you must send your email to its email
address: [log in to unmask]

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask - you can send
questions to me directly or post them to the list for any list members to
answer.

Amy

Amy Edwards, Program Coordinator ------ [log in to unmask]

Museum of Natural History        --------        phone (706) 542-4137
University of Georgia            --------            FAX 706-542-3920
Athens, GA 30602-1882       --------       http://museum.nhm.uga.edu/
"A man's mind, stretched by new ideas, can never go back to its original
dimensions."             Oliver Wendell Holmes