From:
Steven Coker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2011 12:11:00 -0500
Last year while camping at the Boy Scout campground with my g'son we found a
huge land snail which I have subsequently identified as a Rosy Wolf Snail
(sorry, long ago forgot the Latin).  I decided to add it to my collection so
I took it home.  When I went on-line to get some help with the ID I
discovered it was carnivorous which I thought was really cool.  I never
thought about a land snail being a predator so I decided to keep it in an
aquarium.  I tossed in a few garden variety snails and "Rosy" made short
work of cleaning the shells.  However, with the drought that has plagued
Texas for the past several months in combination with my total ineptness at
finding snails, Rosy has gotten really hungry.  I have scoured the
landscaping as well as the piles of leaves along the fence but alas no
snails.  Does anyone have any tips on finding land snails?