From:
David Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:16:12 -0500
In contrast to alkaline conditions in oceans and many salt lakes,
ordinary freshwater tends to be somewhat acidic.  There's a lot of
natural variation (whether there's limestone around, whether there are
conifers contributing more acidic needles, etc.) in the pH, but often
conditions are acidic enough to be challenging for freshwater
mollusks, or even to prevent their survival in certain areas.
Increasing acidity, whether from rising carbon dioxide, acid rain,
decreasing salmon populations (which, by swimming up from the oceans
and then dying, historically had large impacts on the water chemistry
and nutrient loads in certain streams), changing vegetations, etc. is
having negative effects on freshwater mollusks.  Although the
variation in the oceans is not as wide as in freshwater, some parts of
the ocean naturally have lower pH and so will be more challenging to
build shells in than in other areas.

Many details of physiology would need to be worked out in order to
precisely predict the effects of increasing carbon dioxide on
mollusks.  How does the change in pH affect them generally?  Does the
average value or occasional extremes in variation have more of an
impact?  What direct effects are there on shell formation and
maintenance?  What effects are there on other organisms that interact
with them?  For example, greater impacts on top predators would leave
the mid-level predators more abundant, and these include a number of
the main mollusk-eaters.

In what testing has been done, some species seem unaffected, some seem
to do better, and some seem to do worse with high carbon dioxide
concentrations.  On average, more are harmed than helped, but a rapid
shift in the balance between organisms will produce more widespread
impacts than just whether an individual species has trouble calcifying
as the pH changes.

--
Dr. David Campbell
Visiting Professor