From:
Charles Sturm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2013 14:11:29 -0400
The AMS volume titled "How to Collect Shells" was last printed in the
1970s. It has been replaced by a newer work. The current AMS book is "The
Mollusks: A Guide to their study, collection, and preservation." It is 445
pp and was a collaborative effort of three editors and 20+ authors. More
information can be found at

http://www.universal-publishers.com/book.php?method=ISBN&book=1581129300

This is the book to which David may have been referring. He actually
contributed two chapters to it.

> The American Malacological Society's publication "How to Collect Shells"
> has a number of suggestions on how to collect and preserve specimens and
> data.
>
> A few particular observations:
> It's critical to keep the data identifiably associated with the specimen.
> One of the most effective ways is to write a number in india ink on the
> shell in a less conspicuous place.  Also, it's critical to ensure that the
> data goes with the collection, whatever happens to it.  In particular, a
> collection given to a museum with good data will be much appreciated; a
> collection of pretty and expensive shells without data is likely to go to
> the free giveaway box.
>
> Preserving DNA: DNA is best preserved in live animals.  Freezing (as cold
> as possible) and ethanol (as strong as possible, preferably 95% = 190
> proof) are additional options for preserving DNA.  I don't know if it has
> been tried in mollusks, but in other organisms there has been some success
> from putting tissue in bleach-free detergent (short-term, starts the cell
> breakdown process) or thorough drying (buried in silica gel, etc.-low
> temperature is desirable).  Live things die, frozen things thaw, and
> ethanol is flammable and therefore often on the "do not ship this" lists,
> so the main options all pose some challenges to the would-be preserver and
> sender.  One option for ethanol is to take a thoroughly preserved specimen
> and remove it from the liquid, putting some ethanol-soggy cloth or paper
> towel in the container.  That should be enough for the time it takes to
> mail it.
>
> Some plastics and inks are ethanol-soluble, so beware of possible issues
> from that if you use ethanol.
>
> Ethanol, like drying, preserves DNA by getting rid of water; water helps
> DNA break down.  Thus, the goal with ethanol is to thoroughly impregnate
> the tissue with it to displace the water.  Especially if the concentration
> of the ethanol is less than ideal, adding ethanol and then replacing that
> ethanol with fresh will compensate for the dilution resulting form water
> in
> the specimen.  A few changes of ethanol may be necessary.  Also, for a
> large animal a small clip of tissue may be better than the whole thing
> because it gets more thoroughly dried.  Likewise, if something is able to
> close up tightly, the ethanol may not get in.  For tightly-closing
> bivalves
> or operculate snails, cutting the muscle. cracking the shell, or other
> action may be necessary to make certain it actually gets the dose of
> ethanol, rather than clamping shut until it dies and begins to rot.
>

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Ed and Susan <[log in to unmask]>
> wrote:
>
>>  I think it would be great to have some sort of a central registry,
>> updated each year, of willing volunteers anywhere in the world, listing
> [...]

Regards,
Charlie
Charlie Sturm

Treasurer
American Malacological Society

Research Associate - Section of Mollusks
Carnegie Museum of Natural History
Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Associate Professor - Family Medicine
Fellow-American Academy of Family Practice
Fellow-Academy of Wilderness Medicine