From:
Steve Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Feb 2014 10:34:42 -0500
Here is an email i received yesterday from friend and super-naturalist
Brian Cassie (Foxboro Massachusetts),  many shellers  have similar but
perhaps not as dramatic stories of shells found in unexpected places:

   I saw a shell outside of a house in Mattapoisett (SOUTHERN MA)  so I
stopped and asked the occupants about it and the husband said that 25 years
ago, he saw it protruding from the side of a creek in a saltwater marsh in
Sandwich....and he pulled it out and brought it home. What is it? One very
large valve of a Giant Clam! And now it is up to all of us to try to figure
out how that shell got there in the first place. My neighbor, Mary Malloy,
is an expert on worldwide maritime things and she said, unhesitatingly,
that it was probably brought over by a whaling ship and then thrown or fell
overboard near shore and washed up to where it was eventually discovered.
There should be several more plausible explanations. In any case, it was
discovered just as I described. I wish I had been fishing that creek and
found it.
    Brian