From:
Dale Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2014 13:44:11 -0500
Comments about the oyster/scallop farmer's background on the feedback page of this article are very interesting.  But one point is certain - It is very important to learn if this is happening only to farmed shellfish, or if it is also happening in the wild.

There is an ongoing mass die-off of sea stars that began in Alaska and has now progressed at least as far south as San Diego, Calif. It is apparently affecting sea stars of several genera. Google 'Sea Star Wasting Syndrome' for more details.

Also, something happened to all forms of shellfish around Guaymas,Sonora, Mexico on the Gulf of California. Friends who live in San Carlos have reported that shelling on the beaches has been nil since early 2013. These people aren't picky about the types of shells they pick up - bivalves, snails, whatever catches their eye. They tell me that Mexican news reported that the unusually cold spell during mid-December 2012 to mid-January 2013 caused die-offs of insects and some crops, as well as shellfish. I've not received any further details. My correspondents in San Carlos report they are beginning to see some young juvenile shells. Whether this indicates a continuation of the die-off, or if this is a sign that there is a recovery beginning is hard to say. There are always young juvenile shells near San Carlos due to the presence of the Soldado Estuary between San Carlos and Guaymas.

This is far from being a good scientific observation, but it is notable that casual observers have noticed something outside the norm.

---- Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Baby bivalve bleakness:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/mystery-surrounds-massive-die-off-of-oysters-and-scallops-off-bc-coast/article17156108/