From:
Steve Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 22:23:03 -0500
Yesterday I went out to the north fork of Long Island to collect Peconic Bay scallops with a friend of mine. This friend is extremely knowledgable and passionate about insects, especially beetles, and lepidoptera, but also an all around naturalist type  with a well trained eye  who is actually quite knowledgable about shells and fossil shells, for example he knows what a chiton is, and where they live; and he knows that the pillbug is not a terrestrial chiton.

In the car headed to our main destination,  he asked me what else was on the beach besides scallops. I said except for jingle shells and slipper shells not much. He said he would be interested in jingle shells and I told him it would be pretty easy to find some nice pairs with different colors. After walking together for awhile and perusing the very many beached  scallop shells,  we wound up headed in opposite directions. I picked up a fair number of nice paired jingles for him in case he didn't get any. When I caught up with him I asked him if he had gotten any nice  paired jingle shells. He said he had picked up a lot but he didn't keep any because they all had holes in them.