From:
"Ron G. Noseworthy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2015 17:25:28 -0800
Hi, David!

Good questions!  Hopefully I can answer them from my own experience.

If you are working in a swash zone, drag your sieve steadily through the water, being careful to take the loose top layer of sand, not too fast or slow as the material may be washed out of the sieve.  Then shake the sieve gently to concentrate the sand on the screen itself as some may be adhering to the sides.  Then carefully lower the sieve into the water, so that only the screen and the sand on it are covered, and then swish it gently back and forth to rinse out the finer particles, leaving the coarser sand and micros.

The size of mesh you use depends on the size of micros you want to collect; I usually use only two sizes of mesh, one to catch the larger micros, about 5 mm, and one for the tiny ones.  I try to keep my sieving operations as compact as possible, working with small amounts and placing the material I collect into ziplock bags.  If you work in areas of coarse sand, more of the sand grains will be retained and you will still have to pick out the micros.

If you sieve on the driftline, a lot depends on how much time you have for collecting and how much you want to collect.  I take some medium or large ziplock bags with me and sieve into them, more compact and easier to separate if you work in different localities.  It's easy to become very enthusiastic when you find a productive area, but the sorting takes time and, if you have a large amount of material, it can take quite some time to do a careful sort.  One of my friends obtained about a gallon of really good stuff from a beach here and had many happy and fun-filled hours picking out the host of little goodies, and driving his poor wife almost crazy for about a month!

I love micros, but they require time and care when you work with them.

Regards,
Ron