From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jul 2015 17:08:59 -0400
I would second that. When leaving via the Liberia airport some years
ago they were confiscating anything and everything, including bottles
and other containers  of sand and little pieces of coral (like you
would find on Miami Beach).

Based on my one experience, you would be better off putting anything
you want to try to bring back in checked baggage vs hand carry, from
the POV that they were going through the hand carry bags methodically.
It was in fact so painstakingly slow with all baggage at the check in
our flight left quite late and we  and many more all missed our
connections in Houston, which the airline did help out with since it
was all their SOPs (this was Delta in LIberia airport).

If you have the option you can see virtually the same flora and fauna
in Panama, and bring back shells.