From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 2015 08:34:45 -0400
Hi Harry, thanks for the info.  My intent was   mentioning two places
where large sized populations occur, where ecological factors
facilitate consistently reaching large sizes, as in Jim Brunner's
population. Larger size shells appear to correlate with healthy salt
marshes.

For  more on the ecology of this species and insight into how they can
get so large (or dense, population-wise the following paper and some
of the papers cited within are quite interesting as  there is
facultative symbiosis between Spartina and mussels:

Ribbed Mussels and Spartina Alterniflora Production in a New England Salt Marsh
Author(s): Mark D. Bertness
Source: Ecology, Vol. 65, No. 6 (Dec., 1984), pp. 1794-1807
Published by: Ecological Society of America
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/1937776