From:
steve rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Aug 2015 21:22:24 -0400
To add to David's post, this is an eventual trip I have been scoping
out.  If you want to go a bit north of Charleston, Bull's Island is
another just offshore island that seems popular for shelling, also
reachable by private commercial ferry boat. Their website shows what
looks like unstaged (but you never know)  pics of Busycons and  a
Tonna on the beach.

 The American Littoral Society has a Hilton Head/low country trip in
September, and the brochure I got mentioned several places they were
visiting (whether they are any good for shells is probably independent
of that fact):

Mitchelville Beach
Pinckney Is National Wildlife Refuge (they are going for birds, it
sounds like, but there are several potential  shoreline  estuary/bay
access points from  the satellite photos, though they  might be mucky)
(there are no open beaches there)
South Forest Beach (which has multiple hotels/motels across/along  the
street, it sounds like).