Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:17:08 -0400
I would definitely NOT recommend Arizona as a retirement place for any Ostrea. Remember, it's a DRY heat. LOL

---- David Campbell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

=============
Growth lines are generally a good guide, as long as there are annual
regular seasons (in the climate or the life cycle).  If you have the
funding and really want to know, you can check stable isotope ratios.  25
years is a good lifespan for your average marine shallow water bivalve, but
some freshwater mussels and Arctica islandica get far older.  Deep-sea taxa
(including a few oysters) probably also have long lifespans.

Dr. David Campbell
Assistant Professor, Geology
Department of Natural Sciences
Box 7270