From:
Martin Eastburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jan 2016 17:02:24 -0600
This must be in relation to natural salt deposits underground or
underwater.  Salt domes are common in the coastal area and one
might be opened and over salting the area.

In fact, there are many in the Gulf coast area and are used to make
caustic soda and other chemicals.  Dow is one company that uses
them in this way, first taking water from the Mississippi for the chemicals
wanted and then from the domes they have when water flow is low.
I was an instrument that got turbine sensors on the massive power plants
that generated power to make caustic soda and chlorine.  Working in that
plant was a hazard and you signed your life away when entering. Chlorine
gas clouds were common on the location.  A 10 mile x 10 mile city unto
itself.

Martin