Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2019 10:45:11 -0000
Hello all

Returned here after a number of years away. Exchanged shells here quite a
few times much earlier. Some may remember me. My collection comes mainly
from the Med and UK.

Rather surprised at the reaction I received when I attempted to  sell sea
shells on ebay.

I have recently been given a very tatty Cowrie (cypraea spurca) which was
found in an ancient amphora from a wreck which sunk in 300BC. Obviously the
cowrie fell into the amphora sometime after the sinking and the
deterioration of the liquids inside. The shell is clogged with sand.  Is
there anyway to determine the age of this shell via modern scientific means?
Probably involve too much cost for my mean pocket :-)

Best wishes.

Eddie Clamp
West Sussex, UK