From:
Erick Staal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jan 1999 11:56:05 +0100
Hello,

When I collected Strombus raninus in Florida in the autumn of 1997. Some specimens were much
darker than others. When looking closely at the darkest specimens under a strong lamp you could
still see a reddish hue in the "black". so in my humble opinion the animal just excreted extreme
amounts of red pigment, making the shells look black.

Erick